First- Time Buyer
Buying your first home can be an exciting and terrifying experience! There are so many thoughts and emotions that accompany the foreign process of buying a home. Our job is to make this process smooth and enjoyable for you. After working with many first-time home buyers, we’ve compiled a list of tips that have helped others just like you!
- Don’t Overspend: Be realistic!! You need to know how much you can afford before you start looking at properties. Look at your current expenses and put a budget together. Meet with a lender and get pre-approved for an amount you can afford. We recommend great local lenders on our Real Estate Professionals Page. Remember, you don’t have to spend the entire amount you are pre-approved for – think of your pre-approval as a cap. If you’re not familiar with the financial terms or details that are involved in a real estate transaction, we’ve put together a simple outline of the basics in a blog article Common Home Financing Terms Explained.
- Get Organized. Organization is one key to making an otherwise complicated process efficient. Keep all of your information in one place because you will be flooded with information ranging from mortgages, to property searches, to paperwork relating to various aspects of home buying. Check out our blog The 19 Documents Required to Buy or Sell a Home.
- Create a Wish List. Especially as a first time home buyer, you will more than likely have to make a concession or two. Create a prioritized list of the various things you’re looking for such as location, quality of home, schools, property, amenities, size, etc. Decide which of these features are “nice to have” and which are “must haves.”
- Do Not Hesitate. No one should be rushing you or dragging their feet. Find the right balance – don’t make a rash decision but also don’t hesitate. We will guide you through all the necessary steps, but it’s a great idea to become familiar with the home buying process for yourself. At the end of the day, it’s your decision(s) so, make sure you’ve considered everything necessary in your home-search. Our timeline is your timeline-no matter how long it takes.
- Get the Facts. Some listings are not priced properly while others are (despite what you and I think it should be). Each home is different. That’s especially true in the Upstate area. The reasons we love the Upstate area are the same reasons there cannot be a set formula when looking for a “bargain”. Mountain view properties, downtown condos, lake-front properties, historic district homes are all vastly different in more ways than their location. But that’s not for you to worry about. Your agent should be proficient in pulling comparable homes and letting you know approximately how much the home you’re making an offer on is worth.
Don’t just offer asking price or a flat percentage below asking price. If you do your homework and your agent does theirs, you’ll be able to make confident decisions in a timely manner. Use real data (versus the suggestions of your aunt’s-brother’s-best friend from high school) – there is nothing more powerful.
Helpful Information for the First-Time Buyer:
- FINDING A NEIGHBORHOOD WITH GREAT SCHOOLS
- A NICE HOME OR A NICE NEIGHBORHOOD – WHICH MATTERS MORE
- 7 THINGS BUYERS LOVE THAT SELLERS FAIL TO MENTION
- WHO PAYS WHAT AT CLOSING?
- VA LOAN BENEFITS
- Pre-Approval Mortgage vs Pre-Qualified Mortgage
- THINGS TO CONSIDER ABOUT A HOME’S LOCATION
- BUYING YOUR FIRST HOME
- 10 THINGS TO CONSIDER BEFORE MAKING AN OFFER ON A HOME
- 8 THINGS YOUR REALTOR DOES BEHIND YOUR BACK
- CAN YOU BUY A HOME WITH NO DOWN PAYMENT
Recommended Contacts and Service Providers:
- REAL ESTATE PROFESSIONALS
- HOME SERVICES AND REPAIRS
- LOCAL SERVICE PROVIDERS
- RESOURCES FOR PARENTS
- RELOCATION RESOURCES
Ready, Set, Buy! My approach is to find the place that will satisfy your needs best. When it comes to homes for sale in Greenville SC, Brian O’Neill is here to answer all of your questions and help you make the most informed, confident decisions possible. If you need a little more information I’m happy to help explain any time!